Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Recent School Assignment

My Summer of 2008

Written by Serenity, September 2008

This last summer has been a fun time for me. Although it wasn’t as eventful as other summers I’ve had, I’ve had a good time here at home with my family, enjoying the hot days.

In the early stages of the summer, when it was just starting to get hot, we lugged out the pool. It was still dirty and slimy from last year’s swimming, and took a few days to get it clean. Our first time swimming in it, on a quiet Shabbat afternoon, was quite cold. Although the rest of us got used to it after a while and started swimming around, mini-active boy and M.I.T. #2 nearly froze their buns off and were hesitant to do much. To my surprise, the next day they were walking around in the water with ease, and mini-active boy was even going down on his knees. We enjoyed the pool all summer.

Not too long into the warm summer months, I started a blog. I had been keeping up on a couple of other blogs I liked, and thought it might be fun to have one of my own, but never brought up the subject with my parents. One morning, Mom told me she had started a blog called Fresh Thoughts from the Laundry Room the night before, and found it very easy to make. She then suggested I start one of my own! About a week or so later Femininity in a Feminist World was created, and I wrote my first post. After two months from starting my blog, I still enjoy keeping it updated and new. I have been encouraged by other blogs written by young ladies striving to be more like the Lord. All in all, starting a blog has been a good experience, and I think it will just keep on getting better as I get more and more familiar with the blog world.

The next exiting event of this summer was Wednesday, July 23rd – my fifteenth birthday. That day was a busy, fun and surprising one. In the morning, I went into my room to find many gifts scattered throughout my bedroom. After putting on my new outfit that was on my bed, and getting myself ready for the day, I went downstairs to find a card on the table. When everyone was in the room, I opened it. Dad and Mom shared some loving and encouraging words, then broke some news: I wasn’t going to have a bedtime anymore, and that we were taking a trip over the mountains the following night. Wahoo! :)

In addition to all those great things, I also started a two day sewing class on the 23rd. Dad took me out for cini-minis (what else?) that day, and we rushed back so Mom and I could drive down to the class. The class was from 10 – 12 both mornings, and I learned a lot in those four hours. The girls and I in my class got to make a little throw pillow, bag and a hand purse with our names embroidered on it. That was fun! Through making those things I feel like I started to really understand the basics of sewing. Now I’m thankful to be able to make something simple, without feeling lost the whole time.

After the last sewing class on Thursday morning, it was time to pack everything for the three day, three night trip. I had already packed some things the night before, so after finishing up my stuff, I helped Mom by watching the kids while she finished packing everything. At 11:00 that night, we stopped to pick Dad up from work, and then off we drove to the freeway to get going. We arrived at about three in the morning to Grampy and Gram’s house in Everett, due to some tire problems by Seattle. We visited lots of friends and family while on our visit, and even got to stop by our old church. We left early Sunday afternoon feeling exhausted, but happy, from our trip. I really enjoyed that weekend!

At the end of the summer we took a two week course of swimming lessons. Mom and I were with Mini-active boy and MIT #2 in the mommy-and-me class, and Active Boy and Creative Genius were in Level One together. Everyone had fun, and the boys and MIT #2 improved their swimming skills a good bit. At the end of the two weeks, we were each pleased to receive free passes good for one free swim. We hope to take a trip to the pool soon to practice what we’ve learned and to have some swimming fun.

About two weeks before starting school, Mom and I finished MIT #2's and my bedroom. We started with the closet, but ended up organizing, straitening and decorating my whole room. It took a few days to get it all done, and I am sure glad we spent the time! The Ladies Lounge looks great now, and it’s nice to finally have it done. I love the turnout!

Not long after decorating my room, Mom finished the home school room she had been working on, and on September 8th, our first day of school began. After a fun filled summer, I’m ready now to take up my school books again!

1 comment:

Mum-me said...

Dear Miss Serenity,
Your blog is beautiful, and you are beautiful. But more importantly, your spirit is beautiful. I can sense your gentleness and kindness through the words you write. And I am very impressed with the respectful way you refer to your parents and siblings. I enjoy coming to 'visit' here and I will encourage my daughter (Possum) to keep 'visiting' too. I think you are a lovely role-model for her. God bless.