Saturday, August 9, 2008

Becoming a Seamstress

So, I'm finally getting around to blogging about my sewing class like I said I would! I've got a lot to say on this subject. :)
Well, I guess I should start by telling you that for the past three or four months I have been trying to learn to sew. Mother Dear (loveliest women) has bought me an eBook through Biblical Womanhood for young ladies called I Can Sew - An easy step-by-step guide to teach yourself to sew By Gretchen E. Smisor, to be my sewing teacher, and I have had sewing help from my grandma when she comes to visit once a month.
Although Gram and I Can Sew was starting to teach me the basics of sewing, I was still having problems. After going to the sewing class, I now see that I didn't really understand the sewing machine. To be visited by a "live instructor" once a month to fix it for me and to show me how to do whatever it was the right way, wasn't enough. So, Mom signed me up for a two day beginners sewing camp at a sewing shop down town. I loved it.

On the first day I got to make a little pillow with a pillow case to match. I couldn't believe I had actually completed two sewing projects in two hours! Normally I can't even get one done in double that amount of time.
Mother Dear (loveliest of women) was at the class with me, and took a few pictures. Here I am on the first day.


On the second day we made a little hand purse and a bag. Both projects came out wonderfully! The hand purse was fun because we got to surge our names on the front. It was my first time using a surger, and was pretty amazed at how it worked! All I had to do was choose my type of lettering, spell out my name on the touch screen and press go. That needle certainly knew what it was doing! Although you can't see it in the photo, my name turned out lovely.

I think the bag was my favorite project. I feel like I learned a lot while I was made it, and is the thing I have used the most.

I got to use the bag just that night, when we drove over the mountains, for my books, CD player and CD's to help pass all the time we spent driving. It was fun using something I sewed myself!
The instructor was great. She explained things very nicely and really knew what she was doing, which was much needed in my case! The whole class was wonderful and encouraged me in sewing. I have all sorts of things I want to make now!

No comments: